August 11, 1999 Eclipse Path
1. Town is most known for its fortified castle. This castle was once owned by Godfry of Bouillon, leader of the first crusade to Jerusalem in the year 1096. In order to be able to finance this crusade Godfry sold his castle for an enormous amount of money to Otbert, prince-bishop of Liege. Otbert desperately wanted to own this strategically important area and therefore plundered the abbeys and monasteries of his own diocese in order to come up with the necessary funds for the purchase. Godfry left Bouillon in 1096 to lead the first crusade. He conquered Jerusalem, but died there in 1100 as 'protector of the Holy Sepulcher', after he had refused the title of King of Jerusalem. A romantic statue of Godfry can be seen on the Royal Square in Brussels.
1. Arlon is the most southern city of Belgium. It is the capital of the Belgian province of Luxembourg and has a population of about 24.000 inhabitants. Arlon is also one of the oldest towns and habitats in Belgium. The name comes from the Latin 'Orolanum', which indicates that the city was originally a Roman foundation lying at the crossroads between two very important trade roads: the road from Reims (France) to Trier (Germany) and the road from Tongeren (Belgium) to Metz (France). All of these cities were important Roman settlements. After the decline of the Roman Empire, Arlon was taken by Germanic tribes (the Francs). In 1846 the Musee Luxemburgeois was constructed in the Rue des Martyrs, 13. Arlon was a Roman settlement. There are more than 450 statues from tombstones or from the Roman 'Thermae' (baths). Nearly 600 sculptured panels give more information about life in Roman times. In the houses around the Grand-Place, parts of Roman constructions can be seen .
2. Certainly worth a visit is the Archeological park. In the center of the park are the foundations of the oldest church in Belgium: a basilica from the 5th century. Around it is a cemetery where christianized Merovingians were buried as from the beginning of the 6th century. Many of the ancient tombstones are still present.
1. Luxembourg's fourth largest town, is an important industrial center known as "steeltown".
2. The preserved Renaissance palace features a moat, bridges, and four towers.
1. Luxembourg's second-largest town and the center of the iron and steel industry.
2. Attractions include the National Museum of the Resistance, the steelworks factories, and the Berwart tower (1621).
3. Jewish synagogue built in 1899.
1. Dudelange is known as the "Forge of the South" ("Forge du Sud"), a nickname which reflects its importance as an ironworks since the building of the first blast furnace in 1882.
2. An iron and steel museum is located in Dudelange.
1. The "modern" origin of the capital city is considered to be 963, the year that Count Sigefroid acquired a small fortified observation tower called "Castellum Lucilinburhuc", located on the rocky outcrop of the Bock, from the St. Maximin Abbey of Trier. From this modest beginning, Luxembourg slowly developed into one of the most powerful fortresses of Europe. Modern Luxembourg City has become a cosmopolitan European business center and is home to the European Parliament and the European Court of Justice as well as numerous international banks.
2. Although most of the fortifications were dismantled between 1867-1883, what remains is spectacular -- the foundations of the ancient castle atop the Bock, the Towers of Rham, the Three Towers, the Three Acorns (Fort Thngen), and so on.
3. Jews first noted in 1276. Massacre during Black Death (1349); remainder expelled. Expulsion in 1391. Uprising in 1478 where homes destroyed and everything looted. First synagogue in 1823. New synagogue in 1894. At time of nvasion of Luxembourg on May 10, 1940, over 1,000 of the 4,000 Jews in the grand duchy managed to flee to France. After German annexation, discriminatory racial laws operating throughout Reich extended and 355 commercial enterprises handed over to "Aryans." On Sept. 13, 1940 Gestapo announced all Jews would be deported on following Day of Atonement they did not emigrate before then. After World War II approximately 1,500 Jews returned. Mostly merchants, succeeded in renewing business activities and, with financial assistance from the state, devoted themselves to reconstructing community. Community's institutions revived and a new synagogue built, the old one having been destroyed in 1943. It was in Luxembourg that chancellor of German Federal Republic, Konrad Adenauer, and Israel's foreign minister, Moshe Sharett, signed on Sept. 10, 1952, agreement on German reparations to Israel.
1997-2006 Notes on Revelation
All research and online books are original to this site unless otherwise noted.
Please be advised that we do not endorse 100% any link contained herein.
This site is for the dissemination of pertinent information on an end-times biblical theme
which may include many disturbing, unethical, immoral, etc. topics
which should be viewed with a mature, discerning eye.