by E.W. Bullinger
Notes on Revelation Online Books
(Some of our books require that you have Greek and Hebrew
fonts installed on your browser. Most browsers come with the
capability to view Greek fonts but for you to be able to read
Hebrew, you will need to install an appropriate font.
We recommend "sptiberian" which can be downloaded here.)
HOW TO ENJOY THE BIBLE:
The "Word," and "The Words,"
How to Study them.
E. W. Bullinger, D.D.
The Word of God as a Whole
I. The One Great Object of the Word
- The LIVING Word, making known the Father
- The WRITTEN Word, revealing the Son
- The LIVING and the WRITTEN Word
II. The One Great Subject of the Word
- CHRIST in the Word as a whole. The KING and the KINGDOM in Promise, in Proclamation, Rejection, Abeyance, and Manifestation
- CHRIST in the SEPARATE BOOKS of the Word
III. The One Great Requirement of the Word"Rightly Dividing" It
- As to its LITERARY FORM
- The TWO TESTAMENTS
- The SEPARATE BOOKS
- The Division of the Hebrew Text
- Into open and closed Sections
- Into Sedarim or Triennial Pericopes
- Into Parashioth or Annual Pericopes
- The DIVISIONS of the GREEK TEXT
- The Divisions of the VERSIONS, AND THE ENGLISH BIBLE
- Into Chapters
- Into Verses
- The Chapter-Breaks
- The Headings of Chapters and Pages
- The Punctuation
- Changes in Edition of 1611 to be preferred to later Editions
- Changes in later Editions which are improvements on the 1611
- Changes now proposed as most desirable
- As to its SUBJECT MATTER
- The JEW, the GENTILES, and the CHURCH of God
- The GENTILES
- The EPISTLES to the DISPERSION
- As to its TIMES and DISPENSATIONS
- The Word "DISPENSATION"
- The SEVEN Dispensations
- The Edenic (Innocence
- The Patriarchal (Theocratic)
- Israelite (Past)
- The Ecclesia (Grace)
- Israelite (Judgment)
- Millennial (Theocratic)
- Eternal (Glory)
- Their SPECIAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Man's condition in each
- The Crisis in each
- The "TIMES OF THE GENTILES"
- The PARENTHESIS of the PRESENT DISPENSATION
- As to its DISPENSATIONAL TRUTH and TEACHING
- One part of the PAST not necessarily to be read into another part of the PAST
- Matthew 10:5, 6; and 28:19, 20
- Luke 9:3; and 22:35, 36
- The PAST not to be read into the PRESENT
- Law and Grace
- The Imprecatory Psalms
- The Sabbath
- The Kingdom
- The Gospels
- The Sermon on the Mount
- The Lord's Prayer
- The Priesthood
- The prophecy of Amos. Amos 9:11, 12. Acts 15:14-18
- The title "Son of Man"
- The PRESENT not to be read into the PAST
- The Mystery
- "Sons of God"
- The "Church"
- The FUTURE not to be read into the PRESENT
- The Great Tribulation
- The 144,000
- Sundry Prophecies: Psalm 2; Isaiah 2; Isaiah 60
- The Day of the Lord
- One part of the FUTURE not necessarily to be read into another part of the FUTURE
- The Advents
- The Resurrections
- The Judgments
- 2 Corinthians 5:10
- Matthew 25:31-36
- Revelation 20:11-15
- The Truth and Teaching of the CANONICAL ORDER to be distinguished from the CHRONOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL ORDER
- The Tabernacle
- The Great Offerings
- The Four Gospels
- 1 Samuel 16-18
- The Book of Jeremiah
- The Pauline Epistles
I. The Meaning of Words to be Gathered from the Scope; not the Scope from the Words
- 2 Peter 1:20, "Private interpretation"
- 1 Peter 3:20, "Spirits in prison"
- Hebrews 9:16, 17, "Testament" or "Covenant"
- Genesis 24:63, "Meditate"
- Revelation 1:10, "The Lord's day"
II. The Scope of a Passage to be Gathered from its Structure
- The PRINCIPLES governing the Structure of Scripture
- EXAMPLES of each principle
- The ADVANTAGES and importance of the Structures
- ILLUSTRATIONS of these advantages
- 2 Peter 1:16-21, "Private interpretation"
- 1 Peter 3:18-22, "spirits in prison"
- Hebrews 9:15-23, "Testament" and "Covenant"
- 2 Corinthians 5:1-5, "absent from the body"
III. The Biblical Usage of Words Essential to their Correct Interpretation
- Where ENGLISH WORDS have gone OUT OF USE altogether
- All to brake
- Away with
- Come at
- Do to-wit
- For to do
- Full well
- Go to
- Where the usage of ENGLISH WORDS has become CHANGED
- To take in
- By and By
- To ear
- Where the USAGE OF GREEK WORDS had become changed
- By God:
- areth (arete), praise
- hqoV (ethos), manners
- aggeloV (angelos), angel
- corhgew (choregeo), supply
- ekklhsia (ecclesia), church
- paraklhtoV (parakletos), comforter, advocate
- skandalon (scandalon), offence
- By man:
- zwopoiew (zoopoieo), quicken
- paroikoV (paroikos), neighbour
- praktwr (praktor), officer
- phra (pera), scrip
- presbuteroV (presbuteros), elder
- anaginwskw (anaginosko), persuade
- apostomatizw (apostomatizo), question
- grafw (grapho), wrote
- apecw (apecho), reward
- bebaiwsiV (bebaiosis), confirmation
- to dokimion (to dokimion), trial
- dikaioV (dikaios), righteous
- ilasthrion (hilasterion), propitiation
- euerghthV (euergetes), well-doer
- plhqoV (plethos), multitude
- mikroV (mikros), little
- paradeisoV (paradeisos), paradise
- kuriakoV (kuriakos), Lord's
- ceirografon (cheirographon), handwriting
- adoloV (adolos), sincere
- sfragizw (sphragizo), seal
- caragma (charagma), mark
- anapempw (anapempo), send
- biazomai (biazomai), suffer violence, press
- katakrima (katakrima), condemnation
- upostasiV (hupostasis), substance
- Where DIFFERENT but CONCURRENT USAGES OF GREEK WORDS should be observed in the English
- Elements and Rudiments
- Where a UNIFORM USAGE OF GREEK WORDS should not be departed from in the English
- Sheol and Hades
- "At hand"
IV. The Context Always Essential to the Interpretation of Words
- The IMPORTANCE of the CONTEXT shown
- Illustrations of ERROR arising from a DISREGARD of the Context
- Isaiah 52:8, "They shall see eye to eye"
- Habakkuk 2:2, "That he may run that readeth"
- Psalm 2:8, "Ask of Me"
- Matthew 22:32, "The God of the living"
- Matthew 23:3, "That observe and do"
- John 6:37, "Him that cometh"
- Acts 16:31, "Believe...and thou shalt be saved"
- Romans 8:28, "All things work together for good"
- 1 Corinthians 3:17, "Him shall God destroy"
- 2 Corinthians 5:8, "Absent from the body"
- Philippians 1:21, "To die is gain"
- Philippians 2:12, "Work out your own salvation"
- Illustrations of TRUTH AND TEACHING resulting from a DUE REGARD to the Context
- The NEARER CONTEXT
- Genesis 35:2 and 34:26-29, "Put away the strange gods"
- 2 Kings 4:13 and 3:16, 17, "Wouldst thou be spoken for to the King"
- Daniel 5:30, 6:1; and Esther 1:1-3, "The 120 and 127 Provinces"
- Ephesians 3:15 and 1:21, "The whole family"
- The REMOTER CONTEXT
- Genesis 19 and 14, The cities and the city
- Genesis 24:24, and 18:11, 12, Rebekah the daughter of Bethuel
- Genesis 37:25, 28, 36; and Judges 6-8, The Ishmaelites and Midianites
- Exodus 6:16-20; and Numbers 26:59, Moses' parents
- Numbers 16:1; and Numbers 3:29, 2:10, The sons of Kohath
- Numbers 16:27; and Numbers 26:11, The sons of Korah
- Joshua 3:15, 4:19; and Exodus 11:31; Joshua 2:6, Jordan overflowing in time of harvest
- 1 Samuel 13:19; and Judges 3:16, 31, 5:8, 14:5, 6, No smith found in Israel
- 1 Samuel 17:4; and Joshua 11:21, 22, Goliath of Gath
- 1 Kings 17:9, 12 and Joshua 19:28
- 2 Chronicles 17-24; and Joshua 21:13, "Jehoshaphat strengthened himself against Israel"
- 2 Chronicles 22:11, 12, and 24:7, Joash, Jehosheba, and nurse
- 2 Chronicles 21:10; and Joshua 21:13, The revolt of Libnah
- 2 Kings 18:13-16; and Isaiah 39:2; 2 Chronicles 32:22, 23, The depletion of Hezekiah's treasury
- Isaiah 62:2-5; and 2 Kings 21:1, The land shall be called Hephzibah
- Jeremiah 13:18; and 2 Kings 24:12, 15, "Say unto the Queen"
- Mark 14:51, 52; and John 12:10, The young man who fled from Gethsemane
- John 21:15; and Matthew 26:31, 33, "Lovest thou Me more than these"
- Acts 2:16; and Joel 2:28-32, "This is that"
- 1 Corinthians 11:10; and Genesis 6:1, 3, Power on her head
- Galatians 3:15-17; and Genesis 15; Acts 7:6, The 400 and 430 years
- Galatians 3:20; and Genesis 15:12, "God is one"
- Hebrews 12:17; and Genesis 27:34-38, "No place of repentance"
V. The First Occurrence of Words, Expressions, and Utterances Often Essential to their Interpretation
- "Prophet" (Gen 20:7)
- "Hallelujah" (Psa 104:35)
- "Selah" (Psa 3:2,3)
- "Jerusalem" (Judg 1:7,8)
- The Spiritual significance of Numbers
- The Divine Names and Titles
- "The Son of Man" (Psa 8)
- "The Man of God" (Deut 33:1)
- "The Day of the Lord" (Isa 2:11,17)
- The first utterance of the Old Serpent (Gen 3:1)
- The first ministerial utterance of the Lord (Matt 4:4)
- The first utterance of the Lord as Son of Man (Luke 2:49)
- The first Questions in the Old and New Testaments (Gen 3:9; Matt 2:2)
- The first interpretation of prophecy in the New Testament (Isa 7:14; Matt 1:22,23)
VI. The Place Where a Passage Occurs is Often Essential to its Full Interpretation
- "All Scripture given by inspiration" (2 Tim 3:16)
- "Come unto Me" (Matt 11:28)
- "Anathema, Maranatha" (1 Cor 16:22)
VII. No One Passage to be Interpreted in a Sense Repugnant to Others that are Clear
- The rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)
- "Destroy not thy weak brother with thy meat" (Rom 14:15; and 1 Cor 8:11)
VIII. The Importance of Accuracy in the Study of the Words of Scripture
- In THE REMOVAL OF ERRORS
- Ammonite or Moabite (Deut 23:3; and Matt 1:5)
- Zedekiah and Babylon (Jer 32:4, 34:3; Eze 12:13; and 2 Kings 25:6,7)
- Omer and Homer (Exo 16:36; and Eze 45:11)
- The going of Balaam (Num 22:22)
- God's Command concerning Sacrifices (Jer 7:22,23; and Lev 1:3)
- Hearing and not hearing the Voice (Acts 9:7 and 22:9)
- Standing, and Falling to the earth (Acts 9:7 and 26:14)
- Spoken and written (Matt 2:23)
- "Jeremiah the prophet" (Matt 27:9)
- The sending of the Centurion (Luke 7:3,6; Matt 8:5)
- The inscriptions on the Cross
- The offering of drink on the Cross
- The "others" crucified with Christ
- The burying of Jacob and his sons (Acts 7:15-17)
- In the REVELATION OF TRUTH
- Words and Expressions:
- "From above" (Luke 1:3)
- "Another King" (Acts 7:17)
- "The world that then was" (Gen 1:1,2)
- The mention of the "blood" in 1 John 1:7 and 2:1
- "Accepted" and "Acceptable" (Eph 1:6; and 2 Cor 5:9)
- "Man" and "Men"
- Remembering and Forgetting
- The OPPOSITE of what is said
- "Out of the Scriptures" (Acts 17:2)
- "Waiting for God's Son" (1 Thess 1:9)
- "Except there come the Apostasy" (2 Thess 2:3)
- MARKS OF TIME
- "The second day" (Josh 10:31,32)
- "Then came Amalek" (Exo 17:8)
- "Then will I sprinkle" (Eze 36:25)
- "Then shall the offering" (Mal 3:4)
- "Then they that feared the LORD" (Mal 3:16)
- "Then we which are alive" (1 Thess 4:17)
- "Then shall the kingdom of heaven" (Matt 25:1)
- "Immediately" (Matt 24:29)
- "Afterward" (Joel 2:28)
- "At that time" (Matt 11:25)
- MARKS OF REASONING
- "Therefore, I beseech you" (Eph 4:1)
- "Therefore I charge you" (2 Tim 4:1)
- 50,070 (1 Sam 6:19)
- 42,000 (Judg 12:6)
- The Census of Numbers 1 and 36
- NAMES OF PERSONS AND PLACES
- Of PERSONS
- The same Name borne by different Persons
- The same Person bearing different Names
- Changes in Names
- The Divine Names
- Of PLACES
- The same Name given to different Places
- The same Place called by different Names
- The 120 years of Genesis 6:3
- The 400 years of Genesis 15:3 and Acts 7:6
- The 430 years of Exodus 12:40 and Galatians 3:17
- The 450 years of Acts 13:20
- The 490 years of Daniel 9:27
- The 480th year of 1 Kings 6:1
- SYNONYMOUS GREEK words
- SYNONYMOUS HEBREW words
- The GENITIVE CASE
- The Genitive of Character
- The Genitive of Origin
- The Genitive of Possession
- The Genitive of Apposition
- The Genitive of Relation
- The Genitive of the Material
- The Genitive of the Contents
- The Genitive of Partition
- Two Genitives: one dependent on the other
IX. Figures of Speech
X. Interpretation and Application
- The account of Creation (Gen 1)
- The Rejection of Messiah (Isa 53)
- The mourning of Israel (Rev 1:7)
- The Potter's house (Jer 18)
- The Ten Virgins (Matt 25)
XI. The Limits of Inspiration
XII. The Place of Various Readings
- The Hebrew MSS of the Old Testament
- The Greek MSS of the New Testament
- The Ancient Versions
- The Printed Greek Text of the NT
Index of Subjects
Index of Texts Explained
an updated copy of this Book
Judeo-Christian Research, Ink
featuring our favorite books,
software and videos.
Notes on Revelation and Judeo-Christian Research are associated with Amazon.com,
and, as such, we receive a
small referral fee for any items purchased via the above link. Please note that this
does not increase the price of the book. We truly appreciate your support.
Judeo-Christian Research houses all Notes on Revelation books.
Notes on Revelation | Judeo-Christian Research
Please donate to them if you find these books helpful.
This online book is original to this site.
This online book has been edited.